Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Post 6 genre jump

Rap V. Crunk/Screamo

The defenition of rap is: A form of popular music emphasizing spoken rhymes over heavily rhythmic backing tracks [http://www.allwords.com/word-rap+music.html]
The defenition of screamo is: A genre of aggressive lo-fi guitar driven music with predominantly screaming vocals, while preserving structural aspects of the emocore/hardcore emo genres of the early 1990's

While DWP is a popular screamo band, you have Big Tymers, which is a rap genre. When DWP remade Big Tymer's "Still Fly," they redid the whole vocals. In the rap version of "Still Fly," there is a slow pace to the song leaning towards r&b music. The song is sung by a black man in a deep voice. While DWP remakes the song, they have a more powerful lively voice and a constant scream quick pace throughout the song. I believe the sound of how the lyrics are sung contributes to attracting a completely different group of listeners. I enjoyed the song before it was remade but since DWP remade it so lively and powerful, I enjoy the new version a lot better. I believe the sound of whoever is singing plays a big role in why people like the music they listen to. I wouldn't want to listen to some old hag singing slow, or a little kid trying to sing the alphabet. . . I believe this screamo/crunk genre grabs my attention more than a slow pace boring song because i like to listen to a more powerful sound. I do make exceptions for some slow songs, but overall I am more interested in the way the vocalist makes the music sound, would you agree?

2 comments:

Wiedbrauk said...

Where'd you get that definition of rap from? Please edit this post so that there's a link to that website.

Megzy said...

I fixed ittttttt