Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Post3

When in class last Monday, I got together with my group. We discussed our songs and the meanings behind them. They had decided to agree on my argument that the song was in a nutshell about still being fly [cool/popular/sharp] while free loading off his mother. When you look into the lyrics of Still Fly, you will notice that he quotes "i've got everything in my momma's name, but that's ok cuz i'm still fly." With this, you can see that he gets all of his necessities from his mom.
Throughout the song, he talks about how he has expensive clothing, cars and whatever else he decides to sing about. He doesn't have a job but he still stays fly. You can think when he says 'cuz i'm hood rich' he could possibly reffering to hustling. I honestly believe the overall purpose is to flaunt what he has and he is proud to be a free loading momma's boy.
Including 'gator boots with a pimped out gucci suit' he obviously likes to look good when he's out in the town. He doesn't have a job, an he knows he's still fly, because he gets what he wants.

4 comments:

St.Thomas said...

is he tring to say that he is selling drugs? No job that he gets a paycheck from. He is getting money from where is that? I think they are talking about before they became rapper and got money. The fact that he say "got everthing in my mommas name" is that a common think in the ghetto?(black community)

whitenack said...

maybe "got everything in my momma's name" means she is a cosigner...and maybe his mom is afraid of letting go of her son..is she a single mom?

Megzy said...

I don't think he is talking about selling drugs. I believe his money could possibly come from that or other ways. the lyrics only said he has 'everything in my momma's name but that's OK cuz im still fly ' I would say his mom pays for most of his necessites and the other money he makes is used to go towards his car .

Megzy said...

whitenack- they don't say she is a single mom, but it's possible and shows us a reason she would be giving her son everything. I believe she is the one that takes care of his bills and what not. seeing that he doesn't have a job but he stays sharp... the money comes from somewhere